Sunday, September 4, 2016

2016 read #69: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Translated by Katherine Woods
92 pages
Published 1943
Read September 4
Rating: out of 5

Charming melancholy, delicate beauty that could fall apart at a breath. As with most books for children, this would probably have left a deeper mark if I had read it earlier in life, instead of just being another book among many books, but even so, I was moved. Wonder and significance and attachment are basic themes, especially in a quasi-didactic children's volume, but there was something bared here, a vulnerability that encouraged me to let down my own guard and left me affected and receptive. Perhaps it helps that I like to think of myself as someone who sees the stars, who questions why sheep and roses have warred for millions of years, whose grown-up love of figures and statistics hasn't buried my own sense of wonder and discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment