Wednesday, September 4, 2013

2013 read #114: A Natural History of North American Trees by Donald Culross Peattie.

A Natural History of North American Trees by Donald Culross Peattie
483 pages
Published 1950 (Volume 1) and 1953 (Volume 2), condensed and edited one volume edition published 2007
Read from August 28 to September 3
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

The prominence of "natural history" in the title led me to expect rather more, well, natural history content in this volume, a substantial amount of material on the ecology of each species and a better sense of their taxonomic interrelationships at the very least. While there is some such material, written in such fetchingly high-flown prose as to make the entire read feel like a sunshine-splashed drive along California mountain roads in a Studebaker Champion convertible, far too much of the book (for my tastes) is devoted to bald facts and figures of industrial exploitation. Peattie's message is definitely one of mingled conservation and sustainable forestry, but I can only read so many 65 year old statistics on board feet before my eyes glaze over. And as this is a clipped and hedged edition of Peattie's two-volume opus, I get the sense that many of the minor or more marginal woods -- often those I find most interesting, from my own inimical fondness for biogeographical history and oddity -- were quietly left out. My favorite sections were on geographically or temporally isolate species, such as stray tropical genera represented by a single North American species or a once-widespread fossil family now clinging on in a single remnant population. I wonder how many of those trees got left out of this fashionably streamlined edition.

Some modern maps and taxonomic diagrams would have been appreciated, too, but I suppose what I want then is a modern textbook on plant biogeography, not a somewhat forgotten classic of nature writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment