Sunday, September 15, 2013

2013 read #119: The Great Wall by Julia Lovell.

The Great Wall: China Against the World 1000 BC - AD 2000 by Julia Lovell
352 pages
Published 2006
Read from September 13 to September 15
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

It is inexplicably difficult, at least in my experience, to locate good, wide-ranging histories of China. This is true of any non-European or non-Anglophone part of the world, so I suppose it isn't that inexplicable, but it's still annoying. I know John Keay (whose history of India I quite enjoyed) wrote a similar history of China, which I've been meaning to get my hands on, but I'll have to order that from a different library. My own library's collection of Chinese history is spread evenly across three equally narrow and (to me) equally uninteresting aspects of a multi-millennium, continental-scale story: the rise of Chinese Communism, the subjugation of Tibet, and the Great Wall. You'd think such a vast, densely populated region of the planet, with such a long and complex history, couldn't be boiled down to three topics, but you'd evidently be wrong.

This book caught my eye while I was browsing a rival library by dint of its subtitle. I took "China Against the World" to indicate that The Great Wall was used allegorically, a catch-all term for a history of psychological isolationism. To an extent my hopeful interpretation was correct, but The Great Wall is also used literally: the inception, construction, and decay of various border fortifications forms the bulk of Lovell's topic, and the psycho-historical analysis never gets beyond "Barbarians invade, become emperors, and grow soft over succeeding generations, forgetting the need for flexible offense and withdrawing behind a literal wall of inflexible defensiveness" -- the same old "luxury corrupts" storyline that's been a fixture of historical explanation since the glory days of Sparta and Rome.

Lovell's prose is satisfyingly wry on occasion, and she includes a nice number of (probably embroidered) anecdotes of the kind I like so well, but her analysis rarely becomes more rigorous than that one basic storyline. And while it's nice that this book isn't 100% about the various defensive walls of Chinese history, using "the Great Wall" as a lens to examine Chinese history is still rather limiting. Narrowness of topic I might tolerate, or shallowness of analysis on occasion, but not both at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment