Monday, September 23, 2013

2013 read #122: True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey.

True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
352 pages
Published 2000
Read from September 20 to September 22
Rating: ★★★★ out of 5

Dare I say it -- reading 122 books this year (so far!) has made my reading tastes slightly more... sophisticated. There are still embarrassing moments where I rate juvenile fic flavors of the month higher than certain classics of English language literature, but then, I've always been up-front about the capricious, wholly subjective nature of my ratings. On the other hand, not every well-written piece of modern literary fiction is going to automatically blow me away now.

Peter Carey's Parrot & Olivier in America was the first book this year that really and truly amazed me. It's interesting to note how effusive I was in my praise for that book -- the power of Carey's writing, the poetry of his word choice -- while with True History of the Kelly Gang, I'm content to note, "That was a good book. I liked it quite a lot." I did love the vernacular rhythm of Kelly's narrative voice, but after all this reading this year, I accept it as a job well done instead of elevating it as an artistic revelation.

That said (and I always segue into my concluding paragraph with a variation on "That said," it's getting a bit repetitive, don't you think?), True History was an excellent book, fully up to the standard I expected of Carey after Parrot & Olivier. Like all tragedies, knowing the outcome from the start doesn't lessen the effect, or make it any less of a bummer once you've closed the book and put it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment