Wednesday, October 16, 2013

2013 read #132: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
230 pages
Published 2007
Read from October 14 to October 16
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

Sometimes I hate reading paperback editions of popular books. A paperback edition has had time to nurture a thick crust of blind praise and critical blurbs on the back cover and several pages deep in the front. Even if you do your best to ignore them, the barnacles of praise emit and saturate you with a zooplankton soup of expectations. Like with this book. Sure, it won awards, and that's a promising sign, most of the time. But the whole thing is sticky with famous writers and newspaper critics spooging about how funny it is, how much they laughed from beginning to end, its hilarious language. And I hate knowing that Neil Gaiman and Amy Sedaris and Kirkus universally found Alexie's narrative voice hysterical, because to me, it just wasn't that funny. Certain characters were funny, certain events were hilarious, but the style did nothing for me. In fact, the narrative voice was the one and only thing I disliked about this book. It read like an actual teenager's absolutely true diary, or worse yet some wacky random blogger's output.

Full of, like, sentence fragments.

And one-liners.

And jeez, so much emphasis.

ALL THE TIME, you know?

It gets annoying.

Off-putting, even. Too flippant, you know? It's like, jeez, an awkward voice for a truly affecting story.

I don't know what other voice one would use for this sort of high school confessional. I haven't read... well, I haven't read any books of this genre before, at least none that come to mind. But the prose here kept me at arm's length, as if I were a stereotypical teen boy unable and unwilling to articulate an emotional attachment to my male friends. Which is a shame, because this story is a series of emotional punches to the face. My eyes swam in their sockets seemingly for half the book, despite the narrative style. So maybe the writing itself wasn't as much of a distraction as I thought, but whatever. I think I would have liked this book just a little bit better if it weren't so aggressively casual and OH MY GOD, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment