Sunday, October 27, 2013

2013 read #136: Pym by Mat Johnson.

Pym by Mat Johnson
323 pages
Published 2009
Read from October 25 to October 27
Rating: ★★★★ out of 5

"I really only read The Narrative [of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket] as homework before I read Pym by Mat Johnson. The cover and blurb of that book have intrigued me for months. I even had it checked out for a while earlier this year, but elected to hold off on it until I had the chance to read Poe's original novel." So I wrote in my review of Poe's Narrative, which I read way back in June.

I'm coming to face how very little -- how shamefully little, how appallingly little -- African American literature I have read. One book by Octavia E. Butler, which I really liked; one book by Nnedi Okorafor, which I really wanted to like. I almost bought Ellison's Invisible Man half a dozen times between my late teens and the day I got a library card last year. And... that's it, as far as I can remember. The one history I own by a Black historian is titled The History of White People. I am the worst kind of lip-service liberal, never poking my head out of my fantasy fiction comfort zone, clinging to my humanities degree as evidence of not-wholly-debased intentions without making substantive effort to inform myself of other perspectives.

What struck me most powerfully about this book, qua a book, is the mixing and mingling of what I would ordinarily classify as incongruent styles. Dry, bitterly hilarious social satire rubs elbows with the "low" humor of pratfalls and the prominence of Little Debbie snack cakes as a central plot point. Pointed social commentary commingles with the structure and plot of a Crichton-esque airport adventure novel. It resists easy compartmentalization. Given how little I've explored African American literary and critical perspectives, it's best that I don't try to impose any kind of labeling anyway, beyond affirming that I think Pym is pretty damn funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment