Sunday, July 21, 2013

2013 read #96: Touching the Void by Joe Simpson.

Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival by Joe Simpson
218 pages
Published 1988
Read July 21
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

When I was a 'tween, I had a predilection for books on mountaineering, polar adventure, and anything that involved more or less voluntary misery and the possibility of lost toes. My living situation back then prevented me from ever obtaining and reading more than two or three such books, but they left a mark on me, contributing to highly optimistic fantasies in my teen years of voyages and feats of adventure I would undertake as soon as I was free of my father. Ice and frostbite and oxygen deprivation lost their hold on my imagination, but I still have a soft spot for "pure" mountaineering, for climbs up untested routes and unsummited peaks, for uncomfortable bivouacs in snow caves and the rhythmic chipping of ice axes.

I would have liked this book a lot as a 'tween. Nowadays I read too critically. I look askance at Simpson's decision to imagine climbing partner Simon Yates' perspective in the first person (seriously, that's what third person narration is designed for), and find Simpson's prose mechanical and a bit amateurish. I can't find it all as compelling as I would have twenty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment