Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 read #152: Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o.

Wizard of the Crow by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o
A translation from the Gĩkũyũ by the author
768 pages
Published 2006
Read from December 20 to December 31
Rating: ★★★★ out of 5

I've had this book checked out from the library for almost a third of 2013. I first took it out sometime in September, renewed it, returned it only to check it out again, renewed it, returned it, checked it out again a few days later. I wanted to read it, but other books kept distracting me, and especially since October, my reading pace has slowed considerably, making it harder to squeeze such a huge tome (the biggest book I read all year!) in between the others.

I don't know why it took so long for me to finish it once I started. It's a bitterly hilarious satire, sweeping together painful and depressing views of neocolonial economics and globalism, racism and corruption, exploitation and "traditional" wife-beating, the IMF and a "Global Bank" all too happy to award loans to a dictator so long as his nation is politically stable enough to crush the poor and working class under the terms of repayment, told in an allegorical magical-realist mode. Like with all satires, its characters have a tendency to feel like cartoons, and the faux-documentary narration creates an additional level of emotional distance, which wasn't to my taste, but this is the sort of story more people on the "receiving" end of global capital -- which means basically all of us in the West -- need to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment