Wednesday, July 2, 2014

2014 read #62: The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
210 pages
Published 1983
Read from July 1 to July 2
Rating: ★★ out of 5

Perhaps, I thought, my lack of enthusiasm for Guards! Guards! could be traced to the central characters. I enjoyed a Rincewind short story -- my first exposure to Pratchett -- some ways back, so I figured slinging back to the start and reading the first Rincewind novel would be a spiffy idea. Alas, we seem to be going the wrong way. I was merely neutral toward Guards! Guards!; The Color of Magic I disliked. Its structure, a sequence of short stories, was more scattershot, toying with hoary fantasy cliches but rarely long enough to draw much of anything funny out of them. The sequence with imaginary dragons was briefly interesting, and I'd be interested to follow the further adventures of Hrun the Barbarian, but honestly, I think I'd rather dip into the sword and sorcery source material -- it seems like it would be more entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment