Friday, April 8, 2022

2022 read #10: Cute Mutants, Vol. 1: Mutant Pride by SJ Whitby.

Cute Mutants, Vol. 1: Mutant Pride by SJ Whitby
409 pages
Published 2020
Read from April 2 to April 8
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Expect to see a lot more queer small-press books reviewed here as I get my hands on them. This one is basically the tale of a neurodivergent teen and X-Men superfan who finds herself with mutant powers -- and finds friendship with others at her school after a tumultuous journey of self-discovery. The narrative voice is as Gen Z (or possibly late Millennial cusp) as anything I've read in fiction, sprinkling text shorthand, emojis, and group chats throughout the story. It's also avowedly, wonderfully queer. <3

In much the same way that The Evolution of Claire made me itch to write my own take on Jurassic Park, Cute Mutants has me feeling the queer superhero vibe. I feel a bit like a poser, though. This book aside, I only know superheroes through movies, one or two graphic novels, and cartoons from the 1990s. And I guess V. E. Schwab's Vicious. And Catherynne M. Valente's Refrigerator Monologues. And the current Harley Quinn cartoon. Okay, maybe I have more superhero exposure than I realize. But still.

I'm new to seeking out queer books. Now that I've gotten a taste in recent months, I can't get enough. I've ordered a handful as my checking account permits, but I always want more. I can't imagine enjoying or connecting to anything cishetnormative quite this much ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment