Monday, January 8, 2024

2024 read #4: Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor.

Binti: The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor
208 pages
Published 2017
Read from January 6 to January 8
Rating: 3 out of 5

Much like the volume of Moomin comic strips I just read, this is another third book in a series I began last year.

Night Masquerade wraps up the trilogy that began with Binti and Binti: Home. Perhaps I’ve grown used to Okorafor’s style, or perhaps some of the rougher, first draft adjacent prose got smoothed out in this volume. Either way, I felt the prose was more to my liking here.

The story itself, which follows Binti’s efforts to make peace and control the fallout after the reckless Khoush people attack her Himba homeland while trying to assassinate her visiting Meduse friend Okwu, also feels like an improvement. The worldbuilding is fuller, richer, more grounded in its Afrofuturist cultures; the Himba homeland feels substantive and vital in a way that Oomza University never did for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment