Saturday, March 9, 2013

2013 read #34: Sweetwater by Lawrence Yep.

Sweetwater by Lawrence Yep
201 pages
Published 1973
Read March 9
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

Outside of a few scattered weeks of first grade, I never went to school. And aside from a few halfhearted runs through exercise books immediately before and after first grade, my father never bothered teaching me at home, either. He bought my brother and I textbooks for two or three years, but after a while he never bothered to make us sit down and do the exercises. Instead, I taught myself from a very early age, reading those textbooks -- and everything else I could get my hands on -- on my own initiative, for my own pleasure. As luck would have it, I was always curious, with a nerdy bent. Bored of my stupid workbooks with their friendly bears, I plowed through my brother's English and social studies textbooks, four grades ahead of mine and thus far more stimulating. Those early '90s grade school textbooks (bought at wholesale prices from the Oklahoma City schoolbook depository) nurtured my early love of reading with short stories and extracts from books like The Hobbit, Kon-Tiki, and some random Pern novel. One of the extracts that made a particular impression on me came from Sweetwater, a book which, until now, I have never gotten the chance to read in its entirety; I graduated to abridged dollar store editions of Verne and Twain by 8, and then to the unabridged versions and Michael Crichton by 10, without bothering with juvenile / young adult material whatsoever. Nonetheless, after all these years, images of a creepy bug dude (who always reminded young me somehow of Mr. Miyagi) teaching a boy to play the flute, and the friendly old fiddler asking for sweet water, have lingered, as vivid in my imagination as things that actually happened to me. Reading the first chapter now was more than a bit surreal -- it's been at least twenty-two years since I read these words, yet every incident and turn of phrase still felt recent and familiar, so much so that the odd word or paragraph expurgated by those long-ago textbook-compilers felt entirely out of place. Memory is unsettling like that.

Skipping from English primers directly to cheap editions of the classics, I haven't had much exposure to juvenile literature. The only ones I know, I read as an adult: the Harry Potter series (good), His Dark Materials (started strong but ended abysmally), and Hatchet. Compared with all of those, Yep seems to be writing for a younger audience. There's just a hint of talking down to his readers, something I found entirely lacking in the other juvenile books I've read. It didn't bother me as much once I got into the story; either that or Yep's prose found a better balance once the bulk of the backstory and scene-setting was out of the way.

I was pleasantly surprised that the alien bug dude actually had his own motivations instead of being a Mr. Miyagi of the flute for the visiting white boy. The plot wasn't intricate by any means -- in fact it was positively trite, in the "traditionalist family faces off against rapacious developers" mold, something I never guessed from that long-ago excerpt. Nevertheless, all in all Sweetwater was cute and sweet in a simple way. It isn't a lost classic by any means, but I'm glad I finally read it after all these years. My rating here gets something of a boost from the nostalgia factor. Also, Julia Noonan's illustrations were delightfully, unabashedly 1970s, as you can see here. (My caption: "I am so high right now.")

Now if only my library's copy of Julie of the Wolves would reappear...

No comments:

Post a Comment