Sunday, March 31, 2013

2013 read #43: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
Translated by Olena Bormashenko
193 pages
Published 1972; English translation published 2012
Read from March 28 to March 31
Rating: ★★★★ out of 5

I've really slacked off my reading pace the last couple weeks, haven't I? This book was a good, brisk read, and brief, yet it still took me four days. Unconscionable.

Anyway, this book has seemingly been popping up everywhere lately... or at least several times on io9. I never expected my library to actually have a copy, so when I saw it on the shelf, I just had to grab it. Comparisons to Chernobyl are unavoidable, even though the original publication anticipated that disaster by fourteen years. The early descriptions of the Zone were eerie in that light, reminding me of footage from the robot cameras sent into the Sarcophagus. I wonder how much of that atmosphere was in the original text, and how much was massaged in through translation.

Other than that, I think I failed to see what was so magnificent about this book to justify such a brouhaha. It's a solid sci-fi book, quite enjoyable and vivid, with occasional absolutely chilling moments, but nothing earthshaking. Maybe I'm just a dull critic. Or maybe Red's climactic rant against vultures and how good people can't win against corruption seemed more daring and pointed when it was written, in Soviet Russia, during the Cold Frickin' War. Context can't be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment