Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 read #12: Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett.

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett
182 pages
Published 1929
Read from January 18 to January 20
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

This book wasn't what I expected it to be. When I hear that a novel is going to be about "political corruption and gang violence in a western mining town," I picture labor struggles and company towns and hired guns shooting up strikers, or leftist agitators making trouble for the bosses. I knew Hammett's "Continental Op" books were hardboiled pulp detective fare -- I don't think Hammett wrote anything else -- but I was eager to read a pulp story that dealt with one of my pet topics. I had high hopes when, on page four, a man was introduced wearing a red tie. But then the leftist guy disappeared and the rest of the book was about conventional thugs and bootlegging and such. What with the title being Red Harvest, I figured the red tie guy had to come back and play a central role in the denouement (why else would he be introduced first thing in the book?). In the same way, I figured the dame would turn out to be a bad seed in the end. It's a pulp detective story, damn it. All the broads are ears-deep in the racket. But no. I was wrong on both accounts. I guess the guy was just a... red herring.

My main beef with this book is that it was too twisty. Little more than halfway through I gave up trying to keep up with the twists and red herrings and false accusations and lies and double crossings and who was stabbing whom in the back. I'd need a sheet of graph paper to keep it all straight. Maybe hardboiled detective stories aren't my game.

As with The Maltese Falcon, this was an entertaining slip of a book and I don't have much else to add about it. I want more well-written pulp, but maybe not another hardboiled detective yarn just yet. Any good hardboiled Westerns out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment