Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2013 read #20: Chrysalis: Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis by Kim Todd.

Chrysalis: Maria Sibylla Merian and the Secrets of Metamorphosis by Kim Todd
284 pages
Published 2007
Read from February 3 to February 6
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

Scientific biography isn't my favorite genre of natural history book; I'd prefer to imbibe my scientific knowledge directly from books dedicated to a topic rather than to a person. Perhaps eighteen years spent browsing science sections of bookstores and seeing dozens of variations on "Darwin's God" and "Darwin's voyages" and "Darwin's life" and "Darwin's wife" (depriving shelf space from anything interesting or informative) have primed me to scoff at the idea of placing the scientist before the science. It positively reeks of fallacious argument from authority. In my ideal conception of science, the individual scientist only matters as a potential source of bias and error. The work of many scientists over many generations is what produces worthwhile knowledge, not the force of one particular personality, no matter how attractive the latter may be to the reading public (and, by extension, biographers). You may detect a slight whiff of snobbery in my attitude: "Oh, those biographies may be all well and good for the unwashed rubes out beyond the gates of academia, but I'll reserve my attentions for the important matters, thank you." But sometimes it can be fun to learn about particular scientists, just as it can be fun to learn about any other specific person. If I happen to resent scientific biographies for hogging valuable shelf space better filled by real science books, well, I try not to let that cloud my critical judgment. The way the publishing world works, I gotta take what I can get.

I was drawn to this book because I love a) early women scientists and b) early science and scientists in general. I'd never before heard of Maria Sibylla Merian. I'm not especially keen on entomology, but this Merian person sounded interesting, and if I learned something about insects along the way, all the better.

Unfortunately, as scientific biographies go, this one was heavy on the biography, light on the science. This, despite the fact that Merian left behind few personal documents, consigning her to the fate of a historical cipher. There was almost no scientific content until the penultimate chapter, which quickly sketched out a current picture of metamorphosis before segueing into talk of phenotypal plasticity. The biography was generally interesting, so the book was still worth the read, but it left me craving another good, satisfying natural history volume like The Tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment