Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2013 read #27: A Rogue's Life by Wilkie Collins.

A Rogue's Life by Wilkie Collins
162 pages
Published 1856 (as weekly serial in Household Words), 1879 (as slightly revised novella)
Read February 20
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

This is my first exposure to Collins. In fact, when I picked this novella off the shelf, I'd never heard of him, and had no idea who he was. As such, I'm in no position to evaluate his modern reputation, though I'm guessing he's one of the more prominent Victorian writers who nevertheless have slipped through the cracks of time, denied the cheap and plentiful mass paperback editions and middle school curricula that sustain other "classic" authors. This impression is nurtured by the somewhat tawdry edition stocked by my library, which looks for all the world like a small press imprint of some local writer's pirate fiction, or worse, some tacky evangelical tract. Have a look. I was somewhat self-conscious reading it in public. Perhaps Hesperus Press spent their entire design budget snagging a perfunctory introduction from none other than Peter Ackroyd. (Though apparently Ackroyd wrote a biography of Collins, which makes the connection rather less random.) Wikipedia tells me Collins penned the first English language detective novel, though, and several movies have been made based on his works, so maybe I'm just completely out of the loop. (I am.)

A Rogue's Life is a charming picaresque tale, hilariously dry, cynical, and ironic in the best Victorian mode. In that respect it's nothing unique or remarkable, merely a winsome (and short) example of a well-populated genre. But it's a style I love, so it was well worth the two or three hours it took me to read it. I have to admit, despite all that, it bogged down quite a bit in the middle with a fairly rote recitation of love first thwarted, then won -- an inevitability, perhaps, given the time period, but enough to diminish my overall satisfaction with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment