Thursday, April 11, 2024

2024 read #42: Dinosaur Sanctuary: Volume 4 by Itaru Kinoshita.

Dinosaur Sanctuary: Volume 4 by Itaru Kinoshita
Research consultant: Shin-ichi Fujiwara
Translated by John Neal
196 pages
Published 2021 (English translation published 2024)
Read April 11
Rating: 3.5 out of 5

After volumes 1, 2, and 3 of Dinosaur Sanctuary, I expected more or less the same substance here: a shallow but entertaining tale of dinosaur-keepers running a zoo full of prehistoric animals, a well-researched and excellently drawn manga with few surprises but plenty of dinosaurs. And that’s largely what we get from this volume.

However, we open with a flashback chapter that centers on a secondary character but doesn’t add much substance to him. For me, at least, that threw off this volume’s rhythm, and it never quite recovered. I enjoyed the tale of Suma and Kaidou helping to capture an escaped Velociraptor, but the rest of the chapters felt a little flat. Even the art felt a little bit more rushed this time around, with fewer splash pages and less attention to detail.

Perhaps I’m the problem this time around. My partner R and I are in the middle of a complicated process of home-buying, packing, and planning for a move halfway up the Eastern Seaboard, so I’m in my distracted era. Or perhaps the infamous pressures of manga production are catching up with Itaru Kinoshita.

Still, it’s a lovely book about an operational dinosaur park, which puts it well above all but the first of the Jurassic Park movies (and most of the dinosaur fiction I’ve read).

No comments:

Post a Comment