Thursday, April 18, 2024

2024 read #45: Delicious in Dungeon: Volume 1 by Ryoko Kui.

Delicious in Dungeon: Volume 1 by Ryoko Kui
Translated by Taylor Engel
191 pages
Published 2015 (English translation 2017)
Read April 18
Rating: 4 out of 5

It often feels like I’m the last person to stumble my way into a fandom. For example, I’m only now in the process of watching my way through contemporary Doctor Who, a good ten or fifteen years after the Tumblr heyday of SuperWhoLock. The Delicious in Dungeon anime is one of the few shows I’ve gotten into during its first season. (Our Flag Means Death is the only other show I got into so early in its nascent popularity.) It’s been a rare pleasure to watch the fandom develop in real time.

Wanting some easy comfort reads during our move (and also while waiting for our boxed-up library to arrive in the moving container next week), I treated myself to this copy of the Dungeon Meshi manga. This is my first time reading a manga after watching the anime. I’m more accustomed to adaptations that take a looser ramble from page to screen. Practically every beat of the manga’s story was depicted in the anime, scene for scene, often line by line. This made the manga feel almost superfluous after watching the cartoon.

Still, it’s a delightful story with charming characters, winning design, and a fetching blend of humor, action, and clever twists on dungeon ecology. It’s no fault of the manga that the anime was adapted perhaps a bit too faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment