Sunday, June 2, 2024

2024 read #62: Witch Hat Atelier: Volume 1 by Kamome Shirahama.

Witch Hat Atelier: Volume 1 by Kamome Shirahama
Translated by Stephen Koehler
208 pages
Published 2017 (English translation published 2019)
Read from June 1 to June 2
Rating: 4 out of 5

One unfortunate outcome of getting into the Delicious in Dungeon fandom at the same time as everyone else: everyone else bought up the entire stock of the manga, and now it’s quite hard to get a copy. I’ve been craving more Dungeon Meshi, and even though the manga got adapted almost panel by panel into the anime, I'm frustrated by the manga's unobtainability.

I was recommended Witch Hat Atelier to help fill that high fantasy manga hole in my life. It isn’t quite the same vibe as Delicious in Dungeon, of course, but the cover blurbs’ comparisons to Studio Ghibli aren’t far off. Out of the very few manga series I’ve begun, the art here is the best I’ve ever seen: inventive, precise, full of personality and bold poses and stunning scenery.

The characters are more or less mere archetypes here in the first volume, but they’re distinctive, their personalities expressed through vivid artwork. They’re also easy to get attached to, their fears and initial successes adding up to a moving read. I’m quite happy I gave Atelier a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment