Thursday, July 11, 2024

2024 read #80: Witch Hat Atelier: Volume 6 by Kamome Shirahama.

Witch Hat Atelier: Volume 6 by Kamome Shirahama
Translated by Stephen Kohler
173 pages
Published 2019 (English translation published 2020)
Read from July 10 to July 11
Rating: 4 out of 5

My kid is with me for the summer, which (as it always does) makes it next to impossible to read prose for any length of time. I have some fresh poetry books on hand, so it won't all be Witch Hat Atelier. But Witch Hat Atelier sounds good right now. Especially after the trailer for the anime series dropped the other day.

The manga has hit its stride in the last couple issues. The artwork is dynamic and beautiful, the characters have gained some depth, the world Shirahama has set up has grown. The Witch Hat fandom has infiltrated my TikTok algorithm in recent days, which has unfortunately spoiled me on some future developments, but with that in mind, it’s been nice to see, say, the character Olruggio get more of the spotlight. 

Of course, Atelier is first and foremost a manga for younger readers, and that’s particularly evident in this volume, which centers storylines about bullying, loyalty, and learning to work together, in case the artwork and heightened stakes made you forget who the target audience was.

Still, I needed something light and easy to follow, and this is just about the best thing I could think of to fill those requirements while still engaging my interest. A lovely installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment