Saturday, May 4, 2013

2013 read #55: The King's Fifth by Scott O'Dell.

The King's Fifth by Scott O'Dell
264 pages
Published 1966
Read from May 3 to May 4
Rating: ★★½ out of 5

There are the outlines of a good book in here. I wanted to like it, I really did. The setting, among early conquistadors in the Sonoran Desert and the southern Colorado Plateau, is one of my favorites (and the reason I picked up this book in the first place). The plot is a sturdy adventure narrative, sure to offer at least some casual entertainment. What spoils it is the mechanical prose, wooden dialogue, and affect-less narrative voice. Through most of the book, the narrator has barely any characterization to speak of beyond smart but diffident boy who could be just like you, and the other characters are hardly more developed. I enjoyed the novel's structure; O'Dell makes good use of cliffhangers and unanswered questions to pull you through the story; the narrator's descent into gold-mad corruption was (to me, at least) unexpected, and quite satisfyingly bleak for a children's book. But the general lifelessness of the characters and prose was too much for the story to overcome, and the final result was middling at best.

I didn't realize this until I got the book home, but O'Dell also wrote Island of the Blue Dolphins and The Black Pearl, two books I encountered (in extract form) in my older brother's elementary English readers. Dude loved him some Gulf of California, eh wot? My disappointment with The King's Fifth notwithstanding, I'm definitely adding those to my to-read list now that I remember they exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment