Monday, May 6, 2013

2013 read #58: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
305 pages
Published 1908
Read from May 5 to May 6
Rating: ★★★½ out of 5

Before I began to read this book, I had typed out some long and rambly reminiscences about reading an abridged version of it when I was 7 or 8. Then I read the first chapter and realized nothing here rang a bell, and I had been thinking of some other book the whole time. (It was an novel about talking animals vs. mean old farmers, but I can't remember the name. Help me out?) So this turned out to be my very first time reading The Wind in the Willows.

I thought it was adorable in an ineluctably British fashion, where gentlemen cure ruffians by application of stout sticks and good friends chaff each other kindly over a well-provided luncheon. The stakes are low, the conflicts resolved smoothly, the heroes always win out, and the wastrel heir learns to comport himself with dignity and self-control. It's insubstantial stuff, but winsome all the same.

2 comments:

  1. Were you thinking of The Fantastic Mr. Fox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Never read anything by Dahl, actually. This novel was public domain when I read it circa 1991 or 1992. I read it in a Readers Digest abridged edition, so it had to have been pretty old. I don't think it's Peter Rabbit, either.

      Delete