Sunday, May 5, 2013

2013 read #57: Chike and the River by Chinua Achebe.

Chike and the River by Chinua Achebe
88 pages
Published 1966
Read May 5
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

Should I even count this one? Chike and the River was barely more than a short story; I'd be surprised if it took me longer than half an hour to read it, all told. I was in the mood for a quick read, but this is kind of ridiculous.

It was a cute little story, an innocent tale of a boy who goes to a new town and wants to cross a bridge over the River Niger and ends up foiling a band of thieves, regular Disney Channel fare. I wonder why it was in my library's adult collection instead of the juvenile room. I'm a perennial sucker for evocative depictions of life in West Africa, though, so overall I found it a charming, albeit slight, read.

I guess this means I should go ahead and read Things Fall Apart, one of those books I see everywhere but know nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment