Monday, May 6, 2013

2013 read #59: The Black Pearl by Scott O'Dell.

The Black Pearl by Scott O'Dell
140 pages
Published 1967
Read May 6
Rating: ★★½ out of 5

Disappointingly, this was another mediocre O'Dell outing. I have fond memories of reading a selection from this book in one of my big brother's textbooks, but unlike the corresponding chapter in Sweetwater, the extract didn't leap out at me during this read. I thought it was the final confrontation with the manta, but in my memory the confrontation was far longer, and the narrator was left adrift in the open sea at the end of it. Now I'm thinking I combined my impression of The Black Pearl with recollections of another sample in Randy's readers, this one of a youth (possibly a girl) adrift in a sea swarming with hammerhead sharks. Which means yet another book for me to track down one of these days, if "young person lost at sea and also there are hammerheads" is enough information to identify a 30+ year old children's book.

O'Dell's flat, affect-less prose was once again my main complaint. I mean -- spoilers -- the narrator's father dies in the wreck of the fleet, along with like half the town, yet the text betrays scarcely any emotion whatsoever. That's just not good writing. Once again the setting is pretty much the only redeeming virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment