Monday, June 24, 2013

2013 read #82: The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer.

The History of the Medieval World by Susan Wise Bauer
667 pages
Published 2010
Read from June 10 to June 24
Rating: ★★★★ out of 5

My first impression of this book was not promising: right there on the second page of an enormous scholarly tome was an egregious editorial error. (The placement of a footnote implies Maximinus Daia ruled Licinius' territories instead of the Eastern Empire. I mean, come on.) It quickly became obvious that this was a "kings and wars" history, ignoring social history, technology, and most everything else not connected to rulers and their battles with other rulers -- a style of history that is frustratingly pat and superficial. But gradually, the sheer scope and ambition began to win me over. Although this book is overwhelmingly focused on Western Europe, where historical records of kings and wars are superabundant for this time period, Bauer follows the "kings and wars" thread whenever possible all over Eurasia, including places whose history is new to me, including Korea. I also came to appreciate the occasional character sketches she gave whenever she felt like giving more detail to a particular king or prince or general. The little details sprinkled through the vast breadth of the subject were a winning combination.

I generally like to own worthwhile history books, so despite our current penury, I went ahead and brought the preceding volume in Bauer's series, The History of the Ancient World. One day I want to get my hands on the entire series.

No comments:

Post a Comment