Thursday, June 6, 2013

2013 read #72: I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson.

I'm a Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to American After Twenty Years Away by Bill Bryson
290 pages
Published 1999
Read from June 5 to June 6
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

Humor columns are far from my favorite kind of writing. When I was a kid I used to read Dave Barry, but you can hardly blame me -- I was just a kid. I never imagined I'd put Bill Bryson into the same category as Dave Barry, but I guess there's just something about a weekly newspaper column that invites lazy jokes about governmental inefficiency and the inanity of summer blockbusters. And don't get me started on why stores only ever have one open checkout lane, am I right? Reading an entire book of three- or four-page humorous essays with lazy punchlines composed under inflexible deadlines has a dulling effect. Individual essays might well be hilarious in the best Bryson tradition, but cumulatively they get less and less funny. In the early going, especially, Bryson got in a rut where every essay opened with a non-sequitir observation, jumped to a seemingly unrelated topic, and then brought back the original non-sequitir as the punchline. A dozen essays in a row followed this exact structure. His compositions became looser and more natural as his column matured, but then he began incorporating serious political polemics about immigration and corporations spying on workers and whatnot. I may have shared his opinions on some topics, disagreed with him on others, but I'm not reading Bill Bryson to get his opinions on late 1990s social issues. I read him either for what he has to say on subjects that interest me (the history of science, the English language, the Appalachian Trail) or for funny. Those draws were often sadly lacking here.

In his books qua books, Bryson has a way of examining serious topics at length without detracting from the more lighthearted sections, one of the many benefits of compositional freedom and not adhering to length requirements. If he had written I'm a Stranger Here Myself as an actual book, he could devote a thirty page chapter to his assessment of the military-industrial complex or the evolution of the tax system, and I'm certain it would be interesting, regardless of whether I agreed with him on it or not. Certainly he wouldn't need to resort to lazy, Dave Barry-esque observations. A weekly column just doesn't seem to be a good fit for Bryson's style, or at least what I like about Bryson's style. Which makes I'm a Stranger Here the first Bryson book I wasn't crazy about.

No comments:

Post a Comment