Tuesday, June 25, 2013

2013 read #84: The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe.

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe
221 pages
Published 1838
Read from June 24 to June 25
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

I suspect I don't have the academic training and literary sophistication to fully appreciate this book. Richard Kopley, who wrote the introduction and interpretive endnotes for the Penguin Classics edition, drew upon a century and a half of Poe scholarship to pull Christological and personal metaphors from the text, two levels of reading I never would have suspected without his guidance, while generally ignoring or minimizing the racial reading, which I found to be the most blatant subtext of all. The whole thesis of paired mirrors at the start and end of the book was either unconvincing or pretty much beyond my abilities to really get. Yes, there's a certain amount of symmetry to Pym, but interpreting the "perfect" white-skinned figure at the end as the "Penguin" from the beginning is... well, it's a bit of a stretch, if you ask me. Especially in a book as full of obvious Providential metaphor, with a continuing contrast between black and white. But maybe I'm not cut out for literary criticism.

Ignoring the racial subtext is disingenuous. Hell, calling it "subtext" is a bit dishonest; it's right there in the text. I really only read The Narrative as homework before I read Pym by Mat Johnson. The cover and blurb of that book have intrigued me for months. I even had it checked out for a while earlier this year, but elected to hold off on it until I had the chance to read Poe's original novel. Johnson's Pym, so far as I can tell from the blurb, focuses on that racial text/subtext. I'm glad I absorbed some of Kopley's interpretation, but right now I'm definitely looking forward to Johnson's take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment