Friday, June 14, 2013

2013 read #75: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell.

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
184 pages
Published 1960
Read June 14
Rating: ★★★ out of 5

Yet another "young adult has to survive in the wild" novel, written in O'Dell's usual competent but overly dispassionate style. I liked this one slightly better than the other two O'Dell books I read this year, if only because Island had two moments with more emotional punch than a shopping list, a big improvement on what I'm used to from him. Maybe O'Dell peaked early? I keep coming back to his books because I know they're quick reads that are at least moderately enjoyable, even if they don't offer much of substance to my oh-so-sophisticated adult tastes. I'll probably pick up Zia at some point next month, because it's not like it's a huge investment of my time or anything. I read this one in a couple hours, tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment